My Book Rut
Have you ever gotten into a reading slump? I'm definitely in one. No book has been able to hold my attention for months. I don't even know how that is possible. In a way I blame the market. Yes! Here's why: every time I find a book that looks like a great read (I do judge them by the cover, not gonna lie), I get disappointed. It's as if every book out now is just riding the wave of the great ones that came before them. They always seem to be trying to be the next Harry Potter, or whichever series was most successful in the past years.
Sure, I could read a classic. In fact, I do that a lot. But when my attention span is not at its best, I just need a page-turner.
By the way! Hey GRRM! How’s Winds Of Winter coming along? Hope you have finished it already! I need to read it before April, you know that, right? Also… Come on! Rescue me from this stupid book rut!
Here’s a list of all my unfinished volumes started this year that I still plan on making to the end:
- Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon
- Anne Of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
- The Yosemite by John Muir
- The Fifth Gospel by Ian Caldwell
- Stardust by Neil Gaiman
- Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Here are the ones I finished:
- Paper Towns by Joh Green
- The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins
- 2BR02B by Kurt Vonnegut
Here’s a list of the ones I definitely will not devote my time to anymore:
- The Rocks by Peter Nichols
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman
So, any suggestions?